Black Low Chemical dye gives your hair a deep, rich black colour.
The Low Chemical range is the lowest dose chemical hair dye available in South Africa, containing only six chemical ingredients in very low quantities. All the chemical ingredients together comprise only 2% of the total, making these dyes the safest option for chemically colouring your hair in South Africa. In addition, the botanical extracts in this product improve hair growth and scalp condition by increasing circulation to the scalp and assist with clearing up problems such as dandruff and itchiness.
- 100 grams of dye powder, enough for collar to shoulder length hair.
- permanent dye.
- gives complete colour coverage on grey and non-grey hair in one quick application of 20-50 minutes.
- contains herbal extracts to nourish and condition your hair and scalp.
- can be mixed with the Love My Hair 100% Herbal dyes to even further reduce chemical exposure.
- the indicated colour is a guide. The final colour will vary depending on your original hair colour, hair type, previous treatments and application time.
- contains no bleach, so cannot lighten your hair.
You must do a patch skin test to check for allergies. Mix 1/6 teaspoon of dye with warm water and apply to a small area on your inner arm. Cover with clingwrap and leave for 1 hours. Wash off and wait 48 hours. If you experience no irritation during that time it is reasonable to assume that the product is safe for you to use. Please do not skip this step.
Do a strand test before dyeing your whole head. Mix and apply a small amount of dye as instructed to a section of hair, or hair from your hairbrush. This will give an indication of the required application time and final colour. For example, if you do a strand test for 20-30 minutes, and the resultant colour is too dark or too light, when you do the dye application on your hair, you will leave the dye mixture on for shorter or longer. Please do not skip this step.
You must work quickly when applying the dye to your hair to keep within the time frame. For example, if you are happy with the 30 minute strand test, but it takes you 20 minutes to apply the dye and you then leave it on for 30 minutes, some of your hair will be exposed to the dye for 50 minutes and will thus be darker.
Chemical treatments like bleaching, perming or straightening affect the structure of your hair and thus will effect the colour results. Please do not not skip the strand test!
- Apply to freshly washed, dry hair.
- Use a non-metallic bowl and spoon/spatula to mix the dye.
- Slowly add 300-350ml warm water to the dye powder and mix to a smooth consistency, similar to stirred yoghurt or pancake batter. It must be thick enough not to run off your hair and thin enough to apply easily and smoothly.
- Cover your shoulders with a towel and put on the gloves.
- Apply dye to your hair in sections using your fingers. Start with the roots and work your way to the ends. Avoid your ears and hair line.
- When your hair is covered, pile it on top of your head. Wipe any dye off your ears and hairline.
- Cover your head with clingwrap and wrap a towel around your head. This ensures that the dye is tightly packed on your roots and that your head is warm. A showercap or plastic bag is not as effective as it allows your roots to ‘spring’ away from your scalp and possibly out of the dye mixture.
- Leave the dye on for 20-30 minutes.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly until the water runs clear. This is very important. If the dye is not thoroughly rinsed out before shampooing, the colour may bleed for days afterwards.
- Give your hair two vigorous shampoos and condition.
- If your hair feels dry after using Love My Hair, 3 days after dye application you can apply extra-virgin coconut oil to your roots and comb through. Leave it on for a couple of hours and then shampoo and condition your hair. It’s a good idea to give your hair a coconut oil treatment on a regular basis, but please use the organic, extra-virgin oil. The deodorized version is not as effective.
All permanent chemical hair dyes contain Para-dyes such as para-phenylenediamine (PPD) and p-amino phenol. It is not possible for them to work so quickly and effectively without these chemicals. Unfortunately, these compounds are not good for us and this is why it is important to limit our exposure to them and to other dye chemicals. Note that the darker the shade the more Para-dyes it contains.
Ingredients: Henna*, PPD (para-phenylenediamine), Barium peroxide, 2-nitro paraphenylenediamine, Para amino phenol, Rose petal extract, Amla*, Bhringraj*, Shikakai*, Citric acid, Sodium laurel sulphate, Sodium sulphate *Certified organic.
- Do not inhale or ingest the dye.
- Do not use any chemical hair dye if you have had an allergic reaction in the past. This could include redness, itching or welts.
- Do not dye your eye lashes.
- Do not apply the dye to broken or irritated skin.
- If the dye mixture comes into contact with the eyes, wash immediately with water.
- We recommend avoiding chemical hair dyes in pregnancy.
- Keep the package and its contents away from children.